I am a hands-on CTO specialising in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing. I am actively interested in all things MLOps (deploying models quickly and efficiently with techniques like distillation), Explainability and Text Mining. You can see some of the things I’ve been working on in the projects section below. I blog regularly about tech and all sorts of other stuff and I work in the open via my wiki/digital garden where possible.
I’ve been in the software industry professionally for 12 years. I started my career at IBM, originally in transaction processing and enterprise application servers. In 2015, I moved to IBM Watson Ecosystem where I was the main solutions architect serving Europe, Middle East and Africa for around 12 months. I’m now the CTO at Filament.
I hold a PhD in Natural Language Processing from Warwick University and spent a great deal of time studying LLMs before they were cool. My exposure to both academia and practical software engineering has given me a unique perspective onto how cutting edge AI and ML techniques could be commercialised and applied to real problems.
I have published a number of conference and journal papers in the machine learning and NLP space. You can also find me on:
- Maufe, M., Ravenscroft, J., Procter, R., & Liakata, M. (2022, December). A Pipeline for Generating, Annotating and Employing Synthetic Data for Real World Question Answering. In Proceedings of the The 2022 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing: System Demonstrations (pp. 80-97).
- Ravenscroft J., Cattan A., Clare A., Dagan I., Liakata M. CD2CR: Co-reference Resolution Across Documents and Domains In Proceedings of the 16th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Main Volume (pp. 270-280).
- Steffens A,, Campello A., Ravenscroft J., Clark A., Hagras H. Deep Segmentation: using Deep Convolutional Networks for Coral Reef pixel-wise Parsing technical notes
- Ravenscroft, J., Clare, A., & Liakata, M. HarriGT: Linking news articles to scientific literature. In Proceedings of ACL 2018, System Demonstrations (pp. 19-24).
- Ravenscroft, J., Clare, A., Duma, D., Liakata, M. Measuring scientific impact beyond academia: An assessment of existing impact metrics and proposed improvements PloS one, 12(3), e0173152.
- Ravenscroft J., Oellrich A., Saha S., & Liakata M. Multi-label Annotation in Scientific Articles – The Multi-label Cancer Risk Assessment Corpus
- Duma D., Liakata M., Clare A., Ravenscroft J., & Klein E. Applying Core Scientific Concepts to Context-Based Citation Recommendation
- Duma D., Liakata M., Clare A., Ravenscroft J., & Klein E. Rhetorical Classification of Anchor Text for Citation Recommendation
- Ravenscroft, J., Liakata, M., & Clare, A. Partridge: An Effective System for the Automatic Classification of the Types of Academic Papers